Monday, April 12, 2010

A Truly Spring Weekend

Saturday was one of the first really nice, sunny, beautiful days of spring. The sky was blue and the sun was out and all though there was a little bit of wind, it wasn't too cold or blowing too much. It was a great day, so I took the boys over to the Bowles' house to play in their yard. They needed to get out and I wanted to take advantage of the nice weather. Brian was at work for the first half of the day, but even he got to come and play with us after nap time. The boys loved it! The lot next to the Bowles's house that has been empty for a long time, is finally getting a house, so there was tons of dirt, rocks, and wood boards for them to play with and on. They wandered through the unfinished house (with my supervision, of course), threw dirt everywhere (most of it landed on Ollie's head), played in the rocks (Dexy tried to eat them and Ollie stuffed his pockets with them), climbed on the boards, jumped on the tramp, threw the ball for the dogs, and even got to play with the neighbor kids for a little while (the boy in the pic with Dexy, Cade, use to be in the primary class that Brian and I taught when we lived there). They were covered with dirt by nap time, so I just stripped them down, changed their diapers, washed their hands and faces and put them down to sleep. When they woke up, we just put the dirty clothes back on and let them go at it again! What fun!
Then on Sunday, the weather was totally different. It was gray, cloudy and WINDY! But it was again, at least not too cold, so I decided to make the most of it. We were at the Bowles' house for Sunday dinner when Ollie found a kite. He dragged it over to me saying, "Kite? Kite?" And I said, "Yes! Let's go fly a kite!" So, outside we headed again. It was so windy that even a couple of girls and a couple of toddlers could get a kite in the air. Ollie even got to hold on to the string! I was so well pleased in myself! I got my kids outside again, eventhough the day wasn't "perfect," and I managed to get the kite in the air!
After dinner, the wind had gotten colder and it was darker so we had to keep our play indoors. But, Angela went and busted out an old game of theirs called Chicken Limbo. We all tried to play, but just got stuck. The boys, obviously, were the best at actually going under the limbo bar. The chicken in the middle bawks the limbo tune at you until someone bumps it. Then it squawks loudly, yells, "I got you" and laugh in your face. Oliver liked that part the best. He figured out that he could go over and just hit it to make it say, "I got you" without having to go under the bar at all. Then he'd run to the chair, throw himself on it, bury his face in the cushion, try to mimic the chicken saying, "I got you" and then laugh histerically. Then he'd go over to the chicken to do it all over again. He's so funny! We had a fun spring weekend. Sunny on Saturday. Windy and gray on Sunday. Rain today. That's spring for you! But at least there hasn't been anymore snow and we've gotten to get outside!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Rob O said...

Now that's livin'!