Friday, July 16, 2010

NO!!!!! Not Again!

Every time we try to cut Oliver's hair, something goes wrong and we end up having to totally buzz it. Well, last night we tried again. I don't want to cut his beautiful curls anymore, but the sides and back were looking a little long and unruly. We usually use the clippers which I didn't want to do, so I asked Derek if he would just trim up Ollie's sides and back with the scissors. A few days ago, Derek cut Jude's hair over here and they both did so good, that I was hopefully. But alas, Oliver sat no where near as calm and still as Jude sat. It was, again, disasterous! He started crying as soon as we tried to put the hair cutting cape on, so we took it off and he sat on my lap, but it was all to no avail! He cried, screamed, started uncontrollably shaking, then wiggling, and finally, with one big jerk, it was all over. The side that Derek had started on was so uneven, so choppy looking, and the big jerk had left a huge patch of hair super short! And so, once again, even though I vowed to myself to not let this happen again, we had to resort to the clippers and the shortest attachment to get it evened out. Ugh! In an attempt to help me not feel so sad about it, Derek tried to have a little fun with his hair. First he cut it into this slammin' curly mohawk.
It was super punk with the curls and the long hair, and it went all the way down. Too, bad it wasn't Halloween time or I would have left it and costumed him accordingly. Brian thought it was funny, but too extreme for a 2 and 1/2 year old (it was).

Next, Derek trimmed up the hair and took off the back. Now it looked like a classic high and tight army do. I so desperately wanted him to get to keep some of his hair, and this wasn't quite so extreme, that I pleaded with Brian to let us leave it this way.


But in the end, the inevitable happened - all my Ollie's beautiful, curly locks were gone! *sigh* At least this time around it's summer, so it will help him stay cool in the St. George heat and looks more appropriate. If this happens one more time, I'm going to refuse to cut his hair untill he's capable to hold perfectly still. He'll just get to become a Samson child, with long flowing locks. Although, every time we've tried, we've learned something that helps us. I think that now we've collected enough Oliver hair cutting tips for me to say that I'm confident that next time we can get it right and he'll even get to keep his curls intact!

3 comments:

Heather said...

That is tragicamal :( I'm SO sorry. His hair does seem to grow rather quickly, so all in good time Ollie will have his "turly" hair back!

Rob O said...

Go for the Samson look!

KelliAnn Christensen said...

Oh, no!! :( I am so sorry. In that way, I am glad I have girls because you don't have to worry about the hair cutting for a long, long time. He's still cute, though. :)