Sunday, August 1, 2010

It's a Jungle Out There

OK. Not really a jungle, but there has been some wild behavior and uncontained urination and that's kind of like a jungle, as well as the singing of those lyrics, so it works. Thirty seconds after my last post, when I said that Ollie had been getting much better with the markers, I walked out into the living room to find Ollie with red marker all over his mouth area and red war markings on the wall as well. Seriously, I hit the publish button and walked right out there to find him vandalizing with the markers! Spoke to soon I guess. Brian keeps telling me to not let him use the markers until we can get washable ones and he told me again as I was attempting to remove the marker from Oliver's face and he was wiping it off the wall, so I walked over, picked up the marker tin, and turned it out over the trash can. It was not great thinking on my part and it was rather sad to hear Ollie say, "NO, Mommy! Don't throw in the garbage!" But, I was tired of hearing that I shouldn't let him use them and, I guess, more tired of the marker everywhere. I just told Ollie that I threw them away because he colored on the wall and himself instead of on the paper and with that, he was over it. I know he needs the practice, though, so don't worry - I'll buy him some more. I'll just make sure that they're washable! I, unfortunately, didn't get a picture. It looked really bad, though (I at first thought he was bleeding profusely from his mouth), so I guess that's a good thing.
The next day we had a similar "just one of those things" event, but after that, the day actually went rather well. Like I said, I'm trying to just buckle down with the whole potty trianing thing (particularly now as Brian has decided to go to school full time and money is tight - one less kid to diaper would be helpful). So that morning, Friday, the boys woke up and I changed Dexy and then asked Ollie if he was ready to do all of his pee-pee in the potty. He said yes and has been excited about the new big boy undies we bought him. We took his diaper off and put on the undies and then he took about 3 steps to go play, stopped, and wet himself! We had just put them on! But, I explained that big boy undies aren't like a diaper and you can't pee-pee in them and we put on a clean pair. He seemed to understand and I had learned my lesson, so from then on out, I took him to the potty about every 20 minutes, and he did so fabulously!! Not another accident all day. We even went to see Derek and Cristina (about a 15 or 20 minute drive) and there were no accidents on the way there, while we were at their house, or on the way back! What a stud, huh?! I did still put a diaper on him for nap and bed, but other than that, he wore his big boy undies all that day and all yesterday! I was so proud! Since we spent a lot of that first morning at home, getting him use to the potty, he had to find a way to entertain himself. Brian has been watching a lot of MONK lately (started on the first season when we got here and is already on the sixth) and Ollie, who loves music, has picked up on the theme song. He sang it all Friday morning to entertain himself between trips to the bathroom.

Now he's even better than this. He's got the lyrics down pat! But, back to the potty issue. Today, we didn't do the potty thing really at all. We don't have any training pants, but he couldn't go in just undies to Church, so he had to be in diaper. And by the time we got home from Church, it was nap time and then the day was almost over. But, we'll be better tomorrow because he's been doing very well!

2 comments:

krimmeez said...

Good luck with potty training. It's worth it in the end, but terrible to go through it. You pretty much have to put your life on hold while you do it. Ollie will do great though!!! Sorry about the marker. :(

KelliAnn Christensen said...

Oh, boy. I know exactly what you mean about jinxing yourself by posting something that has been going really well. I honestly, don't post anything about something good until well after it has happened because it always comes back to bite me. Congrats and good luck with the potty-training. It sounds like you are doing a great job.