Tuesday, March 29, 2011

4 Kids, Not a Sound!

I'm one of those people that's pretty good at a lot of things, but excellent at nothing, except for one thing - getting babies and toddlers to all nap at the same time. It's my one and only power. On Saturday, I watched Derek and Cristina's kids while Brian helped them move into their new place. It was me and 4 kids, 3 years or under, from 9 AM until about 6 PM. It wasn't bad because we all know and like each other. But around nap time, even I was ready for a break and some peace and quiet. I had to figure out where to put everyone, but I was determined to make it work and get them all to sleep. And so, I did! Dexy went in his crib and like a peach as always, went right to sleep and was happy about it.

I put Ollie in my bed. Because he was getting to sleep in Mommy's bed, he was also happy about it and went right in with his cup and blanket and climbed into bed all by himself.
I put Jude in Ollie's room and then sat on the couch to feed Alice her bottle. She settled in and ate and was also more than happy to go to sleep. The whole time I was feeding her, I kept seeing the bedroom door open for a few seconds, then close, heard Jude making noises, then the door opened for a few seconds and it started again, over and over and over. It was quite funny! Once Alice's bottle was finished, I set a playpen up for her behind our table and she was gone.


By this time, however, Jude was kind of sad. He was crying for his Mommy and Daddy. I went upstairs and as soon as I opened the door, Jude hopped up off the floor and scampered onto the bed. He has been under stress with the whole moving thing, but he settled very quickly once I came in. After laying by him for a whole 3 minutes, he was snoring as well. Triumph! All 4 kids were out and continued to sleep for a couple of hours. It was so nice for the only sound to be the beef broth simmering on the stove for a while.

2 comments:

KelliAnn Christensen said...

Um, if there is only one thing a person could excel at, I'd say this would be the one. Definitely. Good work on a job well done!!

Cristina said...

I am still amazed that happened. Super power is right.