Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A Few Long Nights

Before we even took the binkies away, we had a couple of long nights. The night we got back from our last hurrah in St. George, we were locked out of our basement. I had forgotten our key and our landlords weren't home. Since Rock 'n Roll Larry is in a band, they could have been at a gig and who knows when they would get home. It was already a little past bedtime because we had stopped in Lehi to celebrate Marie's b-day with her. So, we just hurried over to Grma and Grpa Bowles house. But our kids are the first grandkids on their side, so they didn't have a portable playpen at their house. I had to go buy one so that Oliver would have some where to sleep (they ended up buying it from me the next day so that it could stay at their house for future use - good idea!). He didn't go to bed until 10:30 that night. The next night we were back in our place, but he still had a rough night. He woke up every hour from bedtime at 8:30pm until 3:30 am and then every 2 hours until he woke up. The next night, Brian got home from Denver and I thought that maybe that would help him sleep, but no such luck. I tried everything I could think of: brought him a drink, turned the sleepy music back on, took his bee that he use to like to sleep with in to him and then back out, gave him tylenol thinking maybe his teeth were hurting, even changed his diaper and his damp jammie pants until morning came and he looked like this! We were both tired from so many rough nights and I just couldn't figure out what was wrong. Finally it came to me later that day. I had a stroke of mommy instinct genius - we had been traveling for 2 months and Oliver had been sleeping in...a pack 'n play not a crib! I got it! I went into his room, moved the crib out of the way, vaccumed up all the dead spiders while I was rearranging anyway, took the bassinet out of the playpen where Dex had been sleeping, and dragged it into Ollie's room. I made it all comfy with the "minkus" and his bear comforter and put all of his pillows and stuffed animals in there and that night he seemed excited to go to bed. I knew I had solved the problem and sure enough; that night he slept all night without a single peep! My mommy instinct was dead on, at least this time around anyway.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: