Friday, August 28, 2009

Just One of Those Mom Days

Yesterday started out silly, looked like it might be a good day, but turned out to be one of those mom days instead. Brooklyn came at 7:30 and was sad for her mom to leave as soon as she got here. Alisha said that she had a rough night. I just took her upstairs and outside to let her say goodbye to her mom and she got happy quickly, so I thought she was going to be ok. Then we went back down and I laid her down so she could catch up on sleep. No complaints. Good, I thought to myself. However, Ollie decided to wake up 10 minutes later at 8 o'clock, an hour earlier than usual. He was cranky and with in minutes, the whole basement was awake. I got Oliver breakfast, changed and dressed. I changed Dex's diaper and asked Brian to dress him. He put the shorts on first and then instead of fixing it, he just snapped the onesie over the shorts so that Dexy looked like a bimbo, 80's aerobics instructor. I made him fix it. Then the fighting started. Brooklyn pinching Oliver, Oliver pulling Brooklyn's hair, toy stealing, pushing, whining. They both ended up in their poor choice spots - Brooklyn twice and Ollie 3 or 4 times. I decided that they needed to go outside. Since I had cleaned the little pool I got on the ball, put both kids in
swim diapers and trunks, sprayed them down with sunscreen, grabbed some balls and cups and took them out to the pool. They had a great time! They were splashing, dumping water, throwing the toys out, whatever they wanted and it didn't matter because we were outside. There was no fighting and I was so proud of myself for getting them outside. We went back in after about an hour, ate lunch and I put them down for naps. Good, I thought to myself. Not good. Ollie went down fine. Brooklyn tantrumned in her playpen for several minutes before she finally gave in. I nursed Dex one side and he fell asleep, but when I tried to lay him down, he woke up. Nursed the other side and just laid down next to him. He stayed asleep. Good, right? Wrong! Brooklyn woke up and started fussing after only 30 minutes of sleeping. I got her out, rocked her in the rocking chair and she fell back asleep. I just sat there with her for a while and everything seemed fine until Dex realized that I wasn't there anymore and he started fussing. Brooklyn was asleep so I went to put her back in her bed to get Dex. As soon as I laid her down she let out an ear shattering scream that abruptedly ended everyone's naps. I was suddenly surrounded by
crying! At this point I had had it! There had been so much fighting, whining, spitting, and crying that to have the naps cut short was the last straw. I gathered each crying child from their bed, plopped them all down on my bed and turned on Backyardigans. I just let them watch TV for the last hour and half until Brooklyn's parents came to get her. Hopefully today will be better. Ollie has already pulling a case of tools off the bed onto the floor and almost on his foot and Dex has already exploded out a diaper; all the way up his back and on my bed where he was laying. Oh, and Mom - I think it's me who needs something. I just don't know what. Hopefully I'll figure it out soon.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Rob O said...

Now you know why we are the way we are.

Heather said...

Hey there! I'm sorry you had a rough day. They seem somehow to out number the good ones, but I think that makes the good days that much better! I have Dexter and Oliver's names for your FHE board, but I'm scared to send them. So I was thinking you could put their things into an envelope and send them, I'll put the names on and then send them back. What do you say? I think they are light enough to only be the cost of one or two stamps.