Sunday, January 24, 2010

Ollie the Escape Artist


On Friday, the boys and I went to hang out with Hollianne at the Bowles house. I told Oliver that it was naptime, but then my phone rang. I answered the phone and Ollie walked off to go do something. I figured that he was just going to start heading downstairs to take a nap. Hollianne was in the bathroom and I was standing in the hall just outside of the bathroom talking on the phone and walking Dex. I finished my converstation and hung up. Nothing seemed strange. Then suddenly, it seemed, in that quiet moment of me hanging up and Hollianne finishing up, we heard Oliver screaming. I went to go see if he had in fact gone downstairs, but as I got close to the stairwell I realized that the screaming wasn't coming from that direction. I heard him crying and yelling, "Mom, Mommy, Mommy!!" but I couldn't see him anywhere. It sounded like it was coming from the backyard, eventhough the door was shut, so I went to look if he was out there. And, sure enough, to my surprise I found him standing in the backyard, barefoot, in the middle of this patch of snow. Then Spanky went trotting by. I was holding Dex and in socks, so I yelled to Hollianne that I found him in the yard and she ran out to get him. He started mummbling something about freezing and cold through his tears. We figured that he had followed Spanky out the doggy door in the house and then through the one in the garage side door as well. He had walked around the side of the house, probably wanting to jump on the tramp, and then had stopped when he started trying to trudge through the snowy part without any shoes. It was so sad and pathetic to see him standing barefoot in the middle of the snow crying, and yet it was still a little funny. Dexy was smart enough to stay on the warm side of the glass! Either that or he hasn't yet realized how to escape. I'm sure that Oliver will be more than willing to teach him how!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: